Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Update - Final Treatment Postponed

Today was supposed to be Treatment #6 - my last treatment!!  I knew going into today that because of the issues with my port it might not happen, but I was hopeful.  I saw a different doctor in my surgeon's office since Dr. Kim was stuck in surgery and he wasn't concerned at all.  He thought my port looked fine and said to just finish my antibiotics and head over for my last chemo.  Perfect!

So I head over to oncology and was about 10 minutes late because of waiting on my surgeon's office, but they knew I was behind.  After waiting about an hour, I asked what was going on and I was told they were working on bringing me back.  Well - when the nurse came out I knew something was up.  Turns out because of the Herceptin I have to take for the next year, I was supposed to have a heart scan every 3 months or after every 4 treatments.  I did NOT have one after treatment #4 - it wasn't scheduled until mid-September.

Even though I had treatment #5 already, they were not comfortable giving me my last treatment until they looked at my heart.  The nurse was very sorry (it wasn't her fault) and have me scheduled for a heart scan (MUGA scan) tomorrow (9/3) and after I see the plastic surgeon on Thursday, I will have my FINAL chemo treatment at 1:00 Thursday (9/4).  So it was delayed a couple days but I am thankful it will still be done this week!!

What's a few more days, right?  :)  Watch for a post after it's all done!  Almost there!!!

No comments: